OM2210 Coherent Receiver Calibration Source
The OM2210 Coherent Receiver Calibration Source includes the capability and software needed for coherent optical receiver calibration. Equipped with two independent free-running lasers and a precision polarization switch, the OM2210 is able to excite the coherent receiver with a known-polarization signal so that the receiver’s linear transfer function can be extracted.
- Measure Key Performance Parameters for Coherent Receivers such as Quadrature Phase Angle, Path Gains, and Channel Skew
- Obtain Calibration Data over Wavelength for Use in Calibrated Optical Field Measurements
- Calibrate Any Sufficiently Stable Coherent Receiver to Make it Capable of Optical Field Measurements
- Measure Receiver Hybrid Parameters at Any Heterodyne Frequency within the Oscilloscope Bandwidth
- Measure Optical Hybrid Properties in Higher-level Receiver Modules
- The OM2210 can be configured with up to 2 tunable lasers. The OM2012 provides only the tunable laser source.
- Full C-band and/or L-band Tunable Continuous Wave Laser
- Integrated Wavelength Locker to Support 50 GHz ITU Wavelength Grid
- Settable Grid Down to 10 GHz
- Off-grid Tuning for Custom Wavelength Applications
- User-adjustable Transmit Power Output (+6 to +14.5 dBm) and Wavelength Adjustment During Operation
- Supports Advanced Features for DWDM Networks such as SBS Dither and TxTrace Tone
- Designed and Verified as RoHS Compliant
- Class 1M Laser Safety Product
- IEC/UL 60950-1 Safety Certified
- Calibration of Coherent Receiver Front-end Characteristics for Use in Calibrated Optical Signal Measurements
- Integrated Dual Polarization Intradyne Coherent Receiver Frequency-domain Characterization
- Tunable Lasers for Design and Manufacturing Test of 2.5, 10, 40, 100 Gb/s Optical Networking Equipment, including the following:
- Multi-Service Provisioning Platform (MSSP)
- Cross Connects
- Optical Switches
- Optical Add/Drop Multiplexers
- Dense Wavelength Division Multiplex (DWDM) Terminals
- Other Wavelength Division Multiplex (WDM) Metro System Equipment
OM2210 parameter measurements
To measure coherent optical modulation using a minimum of assumptions about the transmitter, it is necessary to measure and correct for any imperfections in the coherent receiver. The OM2210 uses two independent free-running lasers and a precision polarization switch to excite the coherent receiver with a known-polarization signal so that the receiver’s linear transfer function (optical electric field to voltage matrix) can be extracted. The lasers can be tuned across an entire band to obtain measurements vs. channel frequency. The results are plotted and saved inMAT format. Configuration information is stored in an SQL database.
OM2210 Coherent Receiver Calibration Source includes the materials and software needed for receiver calibration.
Measurement Typical Uncertainty Note:
- Channel Skew 0.5 ps between any 4 channels
- Crosstalk -40 dB Min measurable between any pair of the 4 channels
- Quadrature phase error 0.2 degrees between quadrature channels
- Optical phase 0.4 degrees between polarization channels
- Path gains 0.1 dB relative gains between channels
The lasers used in the OM2210 and OM2012 products integrate a cooled External-cavity Diode Laser (ECDL). The ECDL uses a thermally tuned etalon filter to achieve single-mode operation at selectable wavelengths. The tunable laser has no moving parts and shares many design elements of standard Distributed Feedback Lasers (DFB).
The tunable laser has low Relative Intensity Noise (RIN), a high Side-mode Suppression Ratio (SMSR), a narrow linewidth, and accurate wavelengths over typical operating conditions. The product complies with the stringent requirements of 300-pin Multisource Agreement (MSA) transponders and discrete line cards.
The following operating specifications were used in the design of the tunable laser:
- ITU-T G.692
- Telcordia GR-253
- Telcordia GR-63 CORE NEBS
- Telcordia GR-468 CORE
This is the stThe OM2012 Tunable Laser is designed for metro and long-haul DWDM applications at 50 GHz grid spacing and below. The performance of the laser allows high-performance, extended transmission distances depending on the modulation, optical amplifier noise figure and amplifier spacing, dispersion map, and other link design factors.art of your concept.
All hardware needed for coherent receiver calibration is provided with the OM2210 with the following exceptions:
- Either the OM4000 Series OMA or OM1106 Software is required.
- The computer is not included. See the OM4000 Series data sheet for computer requirements.
- The oscilloscope is not provided. The software is compatible with many oscilloscopes. Check for compatibility at time of order. The minimum requirements include: >10 GS/s per channel, >2.5 GHz bandwidth per channel, 4 channels, LAN connection.
- The DUT is not provided. The DUT must be a dual-polarization intradyne receiver. If the outputs are differential, only 4 may be measured at one time.
This device is a Class 1M laser product for use only under the recommended operating conditions and ratings specified in the data sheet. Use of controls or adjustments or performance of procedures other than those specified in the data sheet may result in hazardous radiation exposure.
Invisible laser radiation – Do not view the laser output from this device directly with optical instruments.
This device complies with 21CFR1040.10 except for deviations pursuant to Laser Notice No. 50, dated June 24, 2007.
Specifications are for case operating temperature = -5 °C to +75 °C and over operating wavelength range.
|Optical Output Power Adjustment Range (BOL set points)||PcwBOL||+7||—||+13.5||dBm|
|Optical Power Accuracy EOL||PsEOL||—||—||±1||dB|
|Optical Output Power Step Size||—||—||.01||—||dB|
|LsDisable Optical Output Power||—||—||—||-45||dBm|
|Operating Frequency Range (50 GHz channel spacing on ITU grid)||ν (C-band)||196.25||—||191.50||THz|
|Operating Wavelength Range (50 GHz channel spacing on ITU grid)||λ (C-band)||1527.60||—||1565.50||nm|
|Wavelength Accuracy EOL 1||Δλacc||—||—||±2.5||GHz|
|Linewidth [FWHM (–3 dB), instantaneous]||Δλ||—||—||100||kHz|
|Side Mode Suppression Ratio||SMSR||40||55||—||dB|
|RIN for 13 dBm Output Power 2||RIN13||—||—||-145||dB/Hz|
|RIN for 7 dBm Output Power 2||RIN7||—||—||-140||dB/Hz|
|Polarization Extinction Ratio (Unconnectorized)||Er, p||20||—||—||dB|
|Time to Frequency and Power Lock (Warm start) 3||t1||—||15||25||sec|
|Time to Frequency and Power Lock (Cold start)||t2||—||—||60||sec|
|Time to Light from LsEnable (Warm start)||—||—||—||10||sec|
1 Measured from center with path to ±10 pm.
2 RIN is specified for 10 MHz to 40 GHz.
3 Maximum time for high-power version: 30 seconds.
- +10 to +35 °C
- -20 to +70 °C, noncondensing humidity
- 15% to 80% relative humidity, noncondensing
- Power requirements
- 100/115/230 V AC, ~50 to 60 Hz, 1 power cable, max. 100 VA
- Calibration interval
- 1 year
- Coherent Receiver Calibration Source. Contains the laser source(s), polarization switch, optical power meter, power splitter, hardware control drivers, and calibration software needed for optical receiver characterization. It is used together with the OM4000 or OM1106 products to provide calibrated optical signal measurements.
- Tunable Laser Source. May be ordered if only the laser sources are required without the polarization switch or calibration software.
OM2210 Coherent Receiver Calibration Source or OM2012 Tunable Laser Source require choice of laser configuration options.
- 1 C-band laser, polarization switch
- 1 L-band laser, polarization switch
- 2 C-band lasers, plus polarization switch
- 2 L-band lasers, plus polarization switch
- Coupled C- and L-band lasers, plus polarization switch
- No laser, C+L polarization switch only
- 2 C-band lasers
- 2 L-band lasers
- Coupled C- and L-band lasers
User manual options
- Opt. L0
- English manual
Power plug options
- Opt. A0
- North America power plug (115 V, 60 Hz)
- Opt. A1
- Universal Euro power plug (220 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A2
- United Kingdom power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A3
- Australia power plug (240 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A5
- Switzerland power plug (220 V, 50 Hz)
- Opt. A6
- Japan power plug (100 V, 50/60 Hz)
- Opt. A10
- China power plug (50 Hz)
- Opt. A11
- India power plug (50 Hz)
- Opt. A12
- Brazil power plug (60 Hz)
- Opt. C3
- Calibration Service 3 Years
- Opt. C5
- Calibration Service 5 Years
- Opt. D1
- Calibration Data Report
- Opt. D3
- Calibration Data Report 3 Years (with Opt. C3)
- Opt. D5
- Calibration Data Report 5 Years (with Opt. C5)
- Opt. G5
- Complete Care 5 Years (includes loaner, scheduled calibration, and more)
- Opt. R3
- Repair Service 3 Years (including warranty)
- Opt. R3DW
Repair Service Coverage 3 Years (includes product warranty period). 3-year period starts at time of instrument purchase
- Opt. R5
- Repair Service 5 Years (including warranty)
- Opt. R5DW
Repair Service Coverage 5 Years (includes product warranty period). 5-year period starts at time of instrument purchase